The Virginia Plan for Higher Education: Annual Report 2019 Summary
The Virginia Plan for Higher Education provides a framework for making the Commonwealth the best-education state in the nation by 2030 through goals, initiatives and progress measures.
The summary below highlights 2019’s strengths and areas for improvement, as well as recommendations for the coming year. Please see the 2019 Annual Report for more information.
Recommendations for 2020
Policymakers and policy influencers
- Support funding and initiatives for higher education that make college more affordable and predictable, increase talent in high-demand areas and support institutional quality and excellence.
- Adjust the financial aid funding model to support additional aid to low- and middle-income students.
- Adopt strategies that further align funding with the needs of the Commonwealth.
- Increase information and resources available for students in secondary education to help raise awareness of postsecondary opportunities.
- Invest in the technology talent pipeline and other high-demand areas in cooperation with institutions and business.
- Develop affordable pathway programs proven to increase educational attainment.
- Encourage agencies and regions to set shared goals for educational attainment.
- Review efforts to ensure that all students, including those who are underrepresented, have an opportunity to enroll and succeed.
- Continue to develop programs and initiatives that support workforce alignment, including the technology talent pipeline, other high demand areas and experiential learning.
- Continue to identify promising practices and opportunities for efficiencies while maintaining excellence in education.
Business and community organizations
- Increase internships and work-based learning opportunities.
- Invest in research and commercialization.
- Support educational opportunities for employees and their communities.