January 9, 2014
Council to Examine Student Transfer Activity and Enrollment Trends, Review Strategic Plan Process
RICHMOND — SCHEV will hold its regular business meeting on Tuesday, January 14, from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in SCHEV’s main conference room on the 9th floor of the James Monroe Building at 101 N. 14th Street in Richmond. Following remarks from University of Virginia President Teresa Sullivan, Council will address a number of higher education issues that will figure prominently in the coming year.
The Annual Report on Transfers from Community Colleges to Four-Year Institutions includes information about the success of transfer students and identifies areas for improvement. It notes that the proportion of transfer students who have completed a transfer associate degree has increased from 27% to 30%, and that students who have completed a transfer degree have the highest probability of earning a bachelor’s degree – 70% – of all transfer students.
The Council also will receive a report on fall headcount enrollment at four-year colleges and universities. For most institutions, public and private, the enrollment numbers follow institutional projections. Even though enrollment demand has softened, Virginia remains on track to meet the goal of 100,000 additional degrees by 2025 established in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2011.
The Council also will take action on several new academic programs that are designed to meet regional and state needs. One program from Virginia Tech, a Ph.D. in Translational Biology, Medicine and Health, will increase the university’s ability to leverage medical-research funding. Council also will hear about a proposed new consortium designed to provide academic programs and services to current and former members of the military.
Finally, Council will discuss a timeline and work plan to develop a statewide strategic plan for higher education. In October, Council established a Strategic Planning Task Force, which will guide the Council’s work.
SCHEV is the Commonwealth’s coordinating body for Virginia’s system of higher education. The agency provides policy guidance and budget recommendations to the Governor and General Assembly, and is a resource for information on higher education issues. Agenda materials for the Council meeting and its subcommittees are available on the SCHEV website at www.schev.edu/council/AgendaBookIndex.asp.
For more information, contact Kirsten Nelson, Director of Communications, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (804) 225-2627.