Strategic Plan for Higher Education
The Council is now developing a new strategic plan for higher education in Virginia. Make your views known by completing the survey below.
The Code of Virginia vests the State Council of Higher Education (the Council) with responsibility to develop a statewide strategic plan that reflects statutory goals for higher education in the Commonwealth, identifies a coordinated approach to such state and regional goals, and emphasizes the future needs for higher education in Virginia.
The Council is in the midst of developing a new strategic plan for higher education in Virginia, with approval of the new plan targeted for late October 2014. Critical to development of the plan is hearing the voices of Virginians about what higher education is and should be, and how higher education can meet the needs of individuals and the Commonwealth. You can provide your input and comments by completing this survey.
The new strategic plan for higher education in Virginia is anticipated to:
- serve as a budget, resource and policy tool to advocate for higher education in Virgina
- create a coherent vision and ongoing direction for higher education in Virginia
- enable Virginia's institutions to align their strategic plans with the statewide plan
- shape the ways in which the Council undertakes its work to accomplish the goals and objectives of the plan.
A set of principles is guiding the development and implementation of the next strategic plan for higher education in Virginia.
These principles guide the development and implementation of the next strategic plan for higher education in Virginia:
- The plan will:
- promote the development and operation of an educationally and economically sound, vigorous, progressive, and coordinated system of higher education in the Commonwealth, recognizing the connections of higher education to PK-12 education and economic development.
- have broad applicability across all institutions of higher education in the Commonwealth, with primary focus on two- and four-year public institutions, and acknowledging the contributions of private institutions.
- be statewide and strategic rather than institutional and operational.
- include measurable goals for making regular progress reports.
- respect institutional diversity and autonomy.
- The plan will be informed by goals for higher education set by the Council and recent legislation including:
- Affordable access and excellence
- Achievement of long-term degree attainment goals
- Instructional and administrative innovation
- Optimal economic development impact by Virginia’s higher education system
- Development of the plan should not be hindered by fiscal limitations, although availability of financial resources will be a factor in its implementation.
- Council members serve as catalysts for greater access, affordability, quality, and accountability throughout Virginia’s excellent system of public and private colleges and universities and thus, their involvement in the development of the plan is pivotal. Progress on the development of the plan will be reviewed at all meetings of the Council and its Strategic Planning Task Force
- A comprehensive environmental scan addressing economic, socio-cultural, technological, environmental, political, legal, and policy aspects of Virginia’s higher education will inform the development of the plan.
- Implementation of the plan will not only require but also foster institutional collaboration.
- The plan will include periodic triggers that will require the Council to modify and refine the plan as it is implemented.
This webpage will be updated as new documents become available.
Historical strategic plan documents are available:
- Advancing Virginia: Access, Alignment, Investment; The 2007-13 Strategic Plan for Higher Education in Virginia (also available: brochure summary)
- 1999 Virginia Plan: Advancing the System of Higher Education Virginia