|SB669 Higher educational institutions; boards of governance. (Martin)|
Summary as Introduced:
|Public institutions of higher education; boards of governance.|
|Bill Status 1:||Bill Status 2:||Next Meeting: (date and time)|
|Committee/Subcommitte: ---HED Higher Education|
|Full Text of Bill:|
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of Virginia:
1. That § of the Code of Virginia is amended and reenacted as follows:
§ 23-9.14:1. Educational programs for governing boards.
A. From such funds as are appropriated for such purpose, the Council shall develop, in consultation with public institutions of higher education and members of their governing boards, and annually deliver educational programs for the governing boards of such institutions. New members of such governing boards shall participate, at least once during their first two years of membership, in the programs, which shall be designed to address the role, duties, and responsibilities of the governing boards, including their primary duty to the Commonwealth and taxpayers, and may include in-service programs on current issues in higher education. In developing such programs, the Council may consider similar educational programs for institutional governing boards in other states.
B. Educational programs for the governing boards of public institutions of higher education shall include presentations related to:
1. Board member’s primary duty to the Commonwealth and taxpayers.
2. Governing board committee structure and function;
C. The Council shall submit to the General Assembly and the Governor an annual executive summary of the interim activity and work of the Council pursuant to this section no later than the first day of each regular session of the General Assembly. The executive summary shall be submitted as provided in the procedures of the Division of Legislative Automated Systems for the processing of legislative documents and reports and shall be posted on the General Assembly's website.
§ 23-2.04. Boards of visitors; executive committee.
The executive committee of the board of visitors of each public institution of higher education and the State Board for Community Colleges shall (i) organize the working processes of the board and (ii) recommend best practices for board governance.
The committee shall:
1. Develop and recommend to the board a statement of governance setting out the board's role including its duty to the Commonwealth and taxpayers;
2. Periodically review the board's bylaws and recommend amendments;
3. Provide advice to the board on committee structure, appointments, and meetings;
4. Develop an orientation and continuing education process for visitors that includes training on the Virginia Freedom of Information Act (§ 2.2-3700 et seq.);
5. Create, monitor, oversee, and review compliance with a code of ethics for visitors; and
6. Develop a set of qualifications and competencies for membership on the board for approval by the board and recommendation to the Governor.