Virginia Higher Education Research Summit
Date: Monday, June 9
Location: Omni Richmond Hotel
Time: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm
It is critical for Virginia’s institutions of higher education and for economic development in the Commonwealth that stakeholders understand the link between innovation and prosperity and university research. The purpose of the Summit is to bring together stakeholders in Virginia who are committed to supporting academic research and to showcase exemplary private/public partnerships between universities and the private sector.
The Summit is being hosted by the State Council of Higher Education of Virginia in cooperation with the Center for Excellence in Education, Center for Innovative Technology, Virginia Chamber of Commerce, Virginia Business Higher Education Council, and the Virginia Economic Development Partnership. This one-day event will feature Governor Terry McAuliffe and distinguished speakers Reginald Brothers and Christopher Jones. Dr. Brothers is Under Secretary of Homeland Security for Science and Technology at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and Dr. Christopher Jones is Corporate Vice President and President of Northrop Grumman Technical Services. Panel discussions will highlight successful efforts, best practices, current and future needs for advancing academic research and development, and related economic-development enterprise in Virginia. Those in attendance will include representatives from executive and legislative branches of state and federal government, Virginia’s public and private higher education institutions, large and small businesses, and others interested in Virginia’s research enterprise. Calls to action will emanate from the Summit that will serve as a launching point for future private and public collaborations.
For questions, please contact Ashley Myers, Coordinator of Executive and Board Affairs, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804-786-2323.
- Summary Remarks, Tom Skalak, UVA
- The Data Science Institute, Donald Brown, UVA
- Thoughts on Trends and a Strategy for Increasing the Prominence & Impact of R&D at Virginia Universities, James Ellenbogen, MITRE Corporation
- Discovery, Innovation, Translation:"From Bench to Bedside", Paul B. Fisher, VCU
- Public-Private Partnerships; The Virginia Tech Carilion Research Institute, Michael Friedlander, VT
- A View from the Venture World, Dayna Grayson, NEA
- Frank Reidy Research Center for Bioelectrics; An Interdisciplinary Research Center, Richard Heller, ODU
- Remarks, Charles Steger, VT president emeritus
- Welcome Video Remarks, U.S. Senator Mark Warner
- Public Private Partnerships; Exemplary Models, Duminda Wijesekera, GMU
- Partnering for Success: Scientific, Business & Economic Development, Christopher Yochim, AstraZeneca
Governor of Virginia
United States Department
of Homeland Security
University of Virginia
Newport News Shipbuilding
Old Dominion University
Office of the Director
of National Intelligence
James Murray, Jr.
Court Square Ventures
New Enterprise Associates