State Financial Aid
Major State Programs:
- Contact your college financial aid office about application procedures.
- Most state programs do not have a separate application. However, the Tuition Assistance Grant does have its own application, which is available at the Financial Aid Office of participating private, non-profit colleges or universities in Virginia or by clicking here .
Deadlines vary by institution. Contact your college financial aid office for details.
Financial Aid Process:(Mouse over the words in blue below for additional information and definitions.)
- The federal government calculates the Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) using the FAFSA.
- The college obtains the EFC from the federal government.
- The EFC directly determines eligibility for the federal PELL Grant.
- The EFC and PELL Grant are subtracted from student Cost of Attendance (COA) to determine financial need.
- The College obtains other eligibility information from the student’s application for admission. Some colleges will also issue a single application for state aid.
- The college calculates student eligibility for federal, state, and institutional financial aid and makes awards starting first with students having the highest financial need and continuing until all funds are expended.