Finding Available Jobs
Applying for a job
A list of available positions can be viewed 24-hours-a-day at www.schev.edu on any computer with Internet access. This information is updated regularly so you'll want to check back frequently.
Applicants can complete their applications online at https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov from any computer with Internet access. All applications will be screened and those applicants who are to be interviewed will be contacted usually within two to four weeks after the closing date listed on the job announcement. You may check the status of your application by visiting our online career site. After a final selection is made, all interviewed applicants will be notified by e-mail (if provided by the user) or by regular mail that the position has been filled.
There are a number of advantages to using the online Career site, some of these include:
- The ability to save your application form online for re-use on future job openings;
- The ability to update your online application with specific skills and experience related to a specific posting;
- The ability to access and review the job requirements while completing the application;
- The ability to submit your application immediately and directly to the Agency, thus minimizing the risk of missing a deadline or loss of the application;
- The online application saves time when you want to apply for multiple jobs at one time, or apply for several positions throughout the year;
- The ability to keep track of the status of your application and the recruitment process;
- The ability to learn about job openings and apply for positions at any time and from any computer with access to the web.
Your application is on a secure web server and will be available to the Human Resources Department and the interviewer(s) for the specific job opening for which you apply. If the same position becomes available in a different department or with a different supervisor, your application may be reviewed for that opening by the responsible supervisor.
There are a number of ways you can still get access to the Career site:
* If you do not have access to a computer you may visit the DHRM Career Center located in the James Monroe Building, 101 N. 14th Street, Richmond, VA 23219, located on the PDS level of the building.
* Your nearest public library with public computer access (visit http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whoweare/directories/valib/index.htm) for a complete listing of Virginia libraries.
* Any Virginia Employment Commission Office (visit www.vec.virginia.gov) for the office nearest you.
The SCHEV accepts applications only for positions for which we are actively recruiting. These vacancies are posted on the agency website and the Virginia jobs career site. However, you may wish to complete an application and save it for future vacancies.
Applications are accepted via the Virginia Jobs Career site. Using the Internet, you may go to https://jobs.agencies.virginia.gov to create your application. Once you have completed your application using the Career site, you may apply for any of the open positions listed on the Job List--simply click on 'apply now,' attach a cover letter/resume (if applicable), and apply for the position via the Internet.
HR staff members are available to assist applicants in utilizing the online application system and answer questions concerning any technical difficulties. Contact (804) 786-1207 Monday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm.
You must first complete all of the required fields notated with an asterisk before the application can be saved. If you run into a time crunch and cannot finish the entire application, you may complete just the required fields and come back later to finish the application and apply for a specific position.
Be sure that when you reach the last page of the application, you click "Save Profile." You may return later and edit the application before applying to a specific position. You must remember your user id and password to log back on. Also, you cannot create an additional account with the same user id.
The time it takes depends on several factors including the amount of work experience and education you have to enter, how fast you can type, etc. You should allow 20-45 minutes for the total process. However, you can speed up the process by collecting important information about previous work experience, education, certifications, etc. before you start creating your application. If you find you are missing a piece of information requested on the application, you may be able to skip the field and go back later to complete it. If you decide to do this, it is important that you return and complete the missing information BEFORE you apply for a specific job opening. The information on your application form when you apply will be used to evaluate your qualifications for the job opening for which you apply--make sure it is accurate and contains all information requested.
As part of the online application, you will come to a screen that allows you to attach a resume and/or any other necessary document. It's important to read all of the instructions carefully so that you send all of the attachments required for the position. Please note that the document you attach must be a Microsoft Word (.doc), Plain (.txt) or Rich Text format (.rtf).
When the application is submitted without the necessary supporting documentation, it may not be attached later.
The application process has three steps:
(1) Creating a log in user name and password. This will enable you to come back and apply for additional positions as well as check on the status of a position.
(2) Creating your online application-this can be done at any time.
(3) Applying your online application to a specific job, attach supporting documents, and answer any supplemental questions by the closing date.
It's important that you read and follow all instructions carefully. Once you have finalized your online application, you are ready to use that application to apply for one of the jobs shown on the Career site. You can see all open positions by clicking on the “Current Openings” tab. Once you find a position, click on the word VIEW under it. This will bring up the job description and qualifications. At the bottom of this page it will say “Apply Online?” Click on this and you have begun applying for the job. Next you will be able to attach a cover letter and resume. Be sure to remember your user name and password so that you can log back into the system at a future time. You may wish to make a note of these and keep it handy.
Yes, once you have completed your online application through our Career site, you can apply to multiple positions that are currently open and on the Job Listing. Even days or weeks later, all you have to do to apply for another job is to log back on to the Career site and apply--the application you originally submitted will still be in the system available for you to update and/or submit for another job opening.
If you do not apply for any job openings for five (5) years, you will have to re-enter your application before you can apply again. You will be able to make changes to your saved application prior to applying for a specific job opening.
Changes can be made to your general application at anytime. However, once you submit an application for a particular position, you cannot go back and make changes to the submitted application. Changes you do make to your application will be reflected for any new position for which you apply.
* Using the online Career site, login using your username and password.
* Looking at the menu bar on the left side of the computer screen, click on "Application Profile."
* Make the desired changes to your application and save. Your original application is replaced with the new version.
* The next time you apply for a position, your revised application will be submitted.
Note: If you find that you do need to make a correction or provide additional information after you have submitted your application for a job opening, you should contact the Human Resources Department at (804) 786-1207.
Once you have completed your application profile you may print your application by clicking on the “Print” button at the bottom of the page.
Applications are required of each person applying for a position. It is likely that you may have acquired additional skills, experience and education since you originally applied that should be considered. In addition, completing an online application ensures your qualifications and personal information will be documented and ensures accurate applicant tracking information for every position.
As with any position, once a closing date (deadline) has passed, no applications will be accepted. Please continue to visit the Career site and apply for new jobs as they become available.
Now that we are transitioning to the online system, all applications must be completed using the online Career site. Paper applications and resumes will not be accepted by fax, e-mail or postal mail. If you experience technical difficulties with our online application process or need individual assistance in submitting your application, please contact the Human Resources Department at (804) 786-1207. If you have questions about a specific job listing or general employment related matters, please contact Human Resources at (804) 786-1207. We will make sure that you are able to apply for any position that interests you.
Using the online Career site, you can login using your user name and password. Looking at the left side menu bar, click on "Track Your Applications." You will see one of the following status notes next to each position for which you applied:
* Submitted - Your application has been received by SCHEV;
* Received - We have acknowledged receipt of your application via e-mail (if you provided an e-mail address when you applied) or via regular mail;
* Cancelled - Your application has been withdrawn by us per your request or you cancelled the application yourself;
* Under Review - HR is prescreening/screening applications, interviewing candidates, processing the selected candidate’s criminal record check, and extending an offer of employment;
* Closed Filled - The position has closed and another candidate has been hired;
* Closed Not Filled - The position has closed but a candidate was not selected for the position (note: the position may be re-announced and you will need to reapply);
* N/A Emp (Not State Employee) - Applicant not eligible to apply for State Only position;
The benefits of the online process to applicants, hiring departments and the Agency far outweigh the advantages of staying with our manual application process.
The online system provides more information to applicants, including the status of the position(s) for which they have applied, daily updates to job postings and the ability to update their application online. The system can be accessed 24-hours-a day, 7-days-a-week from any Internet connection. Applicants can receive e-mail notification of specific job openings.
The online process reduces the process time from when a job is listed to when applications are received thus reducing the time it takes to fill a position. It also reduces the redundant work of processing, printing, copying and distributing paper applications/resumes. It provides more consistent applicant tracking information and the ability to search and utilize applications on file.
Contact SCHEV human resources between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday and someone will assist you.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 (Windows)or later
- Netscape Navigator 7.0 (Windows or MAC) or later
- Firefox 1.0 (Windows or MAC) or later